Who we are
Numan is changing the way men look after their health and wellness. It’s a decades-old problem: men aren’t seeking the healthcare that they need. Our survey showed that modern-day society is yet to conquer this worrying trend. It revealed that 4 out of 10 men haven’t visited a doctor in over a year, and 1 out of 10 can’t even remember the last time they saw a doctor.
We’re building a platform that gives men direct access to medical professionals, pharmaceutical products, and the knowledge to make informed choices about their health. Our mission is to help men across the world live healthier, happier lives with Numan as their trusted, long-term partner for all things relating to their wellbeing.
Our aspirations are big - we recently raised Series B funding, working with industry-renowned, top-tier investors including White Star Capital, Novator, Anthemis and Vostok New Ventures. This massively accelerated our growth in 2021, and we have ambitious plans for further growth in 2022. We’re looking to expand our world class team to help us achieve our mission, and we’re looking for the right people to work with us to make this vision a reality.
The team and our technology stack
We're a team of 30+ engineers who are working to build a world class engineering culture, so that everyone who joins has the opportunity and the support to do some of the best work of their life. Small and autonomous teams are important to us, and we want to empower everyone to make and be accountable for their decisions through ownership, whilst fostering an environment where everyone can learn and grow from mistakes (we are human, we all make them!).
Here are the main pieces of technology and tools that we are currently using:
- Ruby, Rails, RSpec, PostgreSQL, Redis and Memcached for our web API services.
- Node.js, Vue.js with Vuex and Nuxt.js, ES6, SCSS, Jest (and a bit of Cypress) and Webpack for our website.
- Python, Django and PostgreSQL for our Medical Platform.
- Git, GitHub, CircleCI for our code and continuous integration/deployment.
- Heroku and Cloudflare for our infrastructure.
- Sentry, New Relic and Skylight for monitoring.
- Jira for keeping us on track.
Your mission at Numan
As an Engineering Manager, your job will be to build and nurture a high performance team. You will be tasked with creating an environment for other Engineers to thrive and grow at Numan, and instilling strong foundations for rapid, sustainable growth. This breaks down into some key areas:
Learning and development - You will inspire and support your Engineers with technical guidance, as well as coaching and mentoring them to excel at their work and grow within the team.
Driving engineering culture - It is not only about creating the culture but also about being an example and helping others to adopt it. You'll help us take the Numan values and instill them into everything we do as Engineers, creating a positive team culture. Our values? Work smart and get results. Stay growth oriented. Be passionate. Have no ego, make no drama.
Processes and documentation - You’ll be working closely with the Engineering leadership team to document, propose and implement processes, methodologies, practices and innovation across the Engineering team.
Hiring - You’ll be responsible for helping Numan to grow our Engineering teams, ensuring we hire people who reflect our core values. You will also play a key part in working with Engineering leadership and our recruitment team to scale up and improve our interview process. As a result, we will look to attract a diverse talent pool and build out a repeatable interview framework to support the hiring of Engineers across the business.
Execution and delivery - You will be responsible for coordinating your teams, ensuring smooth execution of projects and overcoming obstacles. You will also partner with your team and the Product function to deliver project planning and resource allocation.
What experience you bring
- Time within a start-up/scale-up experience going through a rapid period of growth and development.
- Many years of hands-on experience from an Engineering background before becoming an Engineering Manager (Software, Data, QA, Cloud/Infrastructure or DevOps).
- Proven experience managing a team of Engineers, ideally also having experience with remote management across Europe.
- Demonstrable time spent in a product-focussed organisation.
- Strong foundations in one or more of the following: system design, domain design, database design, infrastructure design or QA automation.
- You love solving problems, and relish the constant challenges a startup throws your way.
- We practise our version of Agile, and so strong Agile foundations would be very beneficial.
Values we share
- Mission led - You have a passion for and deep subject matter interest in health and wellbeing.
- Highly empathetic and collaborative - You’ll be bringing togetherness and drive contribution.
- Low ego - The best technology leaders spend their time enabling teams to do their best work by providing context, direction and removing roadblocks.
- Ownership - We win and lose together. This role requires candidates who are comfortable taking ownership and high levels of responsibility. We reward that with a highly autonomous way of working that empowers you and your teams.
What we can offer you
- A competitive base salary
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- A flexible working environment that allows you to make the biggest impact
- A chance to help build a category-defining company that’s making a real difference in people’s lives
- Continuous learning - Books, online subscriptions and budget for workshops and conferences.
- Annual Learnerbly budget
- Work in a dog friendly office
- Health Insurance with HealthShield. This is a health cash plan paid for by the company. It also includes 24/7 counselling support, EAP programme, 24/7 GP access, access to wellbeing app Thrive and further discounts on fashion, holidays, entertainment, car hire, health and beauty and your weekly shop via the reward platform MyPerks
- Free access to the gym in the London HQ
- Free drinks, coffee and snacks in the office
- Pension contribution: 5% employee 3% employer contribution
- Cycle to work scheme and secure cycle area to keep your bike safe
- Discount to our Numan products (also for family and friends)
We are fully remote and open to people joining from European time zones! (GMT to GMT+2)
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status