About the role, and the person we would like to join us
We are looking to build our People Function from the top by bringing onboard a People Director who will focus on talent management, cultural change, employee engagement, and effective organisational design, bringing a people-centric, success-focus to our exec team. We are looking for someone adept at creating and supporting high performing teams across a portfolio of tech companies including PE/VC backed, scaling tech and disruptive, innovator organisations.
The person we have in mind will be outcomes-focussed and have a bias to action, fostering collaboration and communication to facilitate successful, sustainable growth. They will be both contributor and coach, influencing with conviction and gravitas, with opinions consistently valued and trusted as a key advisor. We are committed to finding someone who is passionate about culture, values, and behaviours, ensuring that they are clear, concise, meaningful, and embedded in the DNA of the business, policies, and people framework.
Key measures of success for this role over 12 months:
- Design and scale the organisation from 100-200, hiring quality talent with a focus on career development, retention succession planning
- Introduce a system for tracking and managing performance, facilitating better decision-making about the attributes and suitability of the team as we scale
- Coach and support the exec team in pursuit of a culture of performance and growth
- Head of / VP / Director of People in a VC / PE-backed high growth start-up
- Bonus points if you have supported investment round and subsequent growth
- 100% headcount growth (50-100 / 100-200)
- Experience in a product and service-lead tech business
- Bonus points if you come from a CQC-regulated tech company e.g. Elder, Accurx
- Have worked out the best lean team to deliver on your plans, whether coordinating external suppliers or matrix-managing internal resources
- Qualified by experience to CIPD level 7
In the following ways you will empower by example:
- Focussing on outcomes over output
- Remaining unfazed by ambiguity; demonstrating how to convert chaos into order
- Taking pride in execution; being pragmatic about building out the People function
- Owning problems, being accountable for their success
- Balancing the needs of a culture that should be in turn high performing, healthy and enjoyable, challenging and rewarding
- Being ego-free, sharing praise and advocating self-reflection over blame
- Being intellectually curious, inspiring in others the passion for continual self-development that in turn develops the company
- Pragmatic, demonstrating a willingness to serve and to put a company first
- Being agenda-agnostic - not looking to showcase or experiment, unless those activities are in support of company outcomes
- Communicating clearly, with passion, both at a high level and in the detail, energising and inspiring
What you’ll do
- Develop and build high performing teams, collaborating closely with internal stakeholders
- Develop management training, career paths, and performance management programmes
- Implement and manage a training framework covering CPD and other needs, to optimise business performance.
- Build out our onboarding programme for new hires, so that we help our new colleagues be successful in the roles from day one
- Iterate into an effective organisational structure, influencing change and developing people leaders who support future sustainable growth
- Direct and support work to distill our vision into actionable values, which can be integrated into hiring and performance assessments, informing decisions on reward and recognition
- Create robust HR business plans that result in clear, actionable strategies and outcomes, in line with business aims and forecasts
- Review all current HR processes and implement a programme to streamline for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Own the relationships with payroll and our recruitment/talent team
- Support our CFO on various ad hoc projects including team budgeting, and assessing employee risk across various locations and businesses
- Create, live and breathe a company culture and values plan for Numan
- Manage the immediate and future hiring of the People Team
Your experience and skills
- An HR enabler – able to take C-Suite strategies & ambitions and articulate this into a deliverable people agenda.
- Previous experience of driving reorganisation and headcount growth in cost conscious start-up and/or highly agile environments
- A logical thinker and problem solver with the utmost attention to accuracy and detail.
- The ability to create a cultural identity – experienced in nurturing and developing values and behaviours, forming brand identities for employees to engage with the business
- Extensive experience working in fast growth environments, with experience of scaling from the ground up
- Experience integrating teams post acquisition would be highly advantageous, as would experience of supporting a business through to IPO
- Proactive and enthusiastic with an entrepreneurial attitude; able to get stuck in to make it happen if necessary.
- International Experience
- A competitive salary
- Equity ownership in scaling company with limitless potential
- A chance to build a category-defining company that’s making a real difference in people’s lives
- A flexible working environment that allows you to work how you work best
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Choose your own equipment - Mac or PC whatever helps you be the most productive